I Know Why the Cuckoo Bird Sings

Recently, I started to read Ken Kesey’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I had heard great recommendations, and the premise of the book interested me. Even though I’ve only just begun this exciting literary journey, I can tell this is going to be a good read. The story is told through the perspective of Chief Bromden, a patient in a psychiatric facility during the 1970’s. While those around Chief believe him to be mute and generally stupid, his narration is far more insightful and comments on the nature of the psychiatric facility. The story begins with the loathsome Nurse Ratched, who is ruthless and controlling. However, her omnipotent authority seems as if it may be given a run for its money when a new patient, McMurphy, enters the facility, and he seems resolute in his own wants. There are also hints to some conflict over the sketchy medicinal practices in the ward (there are a suspiciously large quantity of pills patients are force-fed and they seem to have large memory gaps after they misbehave…)

Overall, I am excited for the themes in this book. Before the beginning of the novel, there is the short children’s nursery rhyme from which the book draws its title, and throughout the book there are references to birds. Chief talks of bird hunting with his father and when Murphy arrives, he uses the word “bird” where others would say “person.” These constant subtle reminders of the theme of birds could continue to symbolize hope and freedom. Birds soar through the sky, whereas these men are confined to their cold, unforgiving cage, seen as pets rather than their own independent creatures. I do also hope that there is more continual insight about the mental health policies of the time. A lot has changed in the past 40-50 years regarding the way mental illnesses are diagnosed and treated, so gaining the insights and speculations on what is already apparent to be less-than-desirable conditions would be intriguing. Psychiatric facilities such as the one Chief is in were not widely known and at the time their practices were kept out of the public eye, which made it easier for such malpractice to occur. I am ready to see what the rest of this novel has to offer, and I look forward to seeing the development of the plot. I’m rooting for Chief and McMurphy!

3 thoughts on “I Know Why the Cuckoo Bird Sings”

1. I love your use of adjectives in the first paragraph! I very much agree with the fact that a lot has changed within mental facilities in the past few decades, and it will be interesting to see how things were facilitated back in the day. I didn’t even realize that there was a repeated use of birds already in the beginning! I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for that and to see if they’ll get their freedom.

2. Because you paint the book in such a positive light, I’m a little uneasy about my decision of book. Nonetheless, your response ties the past to the present very well with the subtleties of the symbolism. Because I volunteer at a hospital (which has a psychiatric treatment floor), I learn the immense protocols staff must take to treat patients, and I could never imagine the practices you described occurring today.

3. I too, am reading this fascinating novel by Ken Kesey. I think that your discussion of how the author uses the symbol of a bird to represent hope and freedom is really interesting and something that I didn’t think of when I started the book. I am definitely looking forward to finding more of Kesey’s symbols throughout the story and how he uses description to show us readers the truth about mental institutes.